Because of the long hours spent outdoors training and competing, outdoor sporting clubs should take steps to make sure players, coaches and staff, and spectators are protected from UV damage.
Develop a UV policy for your club and make sure all members are aware of the need to protect their skin while being active outdoors.
Sun protection policy
SunSmart can help sports clubs to develop and promote a UV policy. Use our sample SunSmart Sports Policy to create your own club policy.
A good UV policy should:
- provide or encourage participants and officials to wear sun-protective clothing as part of the team uniform and during training sessions by covering as much skin as possible
- promote the use of SPF30 (or higher) broad-spectrum, water-resistant sunscreen. If possible, consider having a supply on site
- promote use of the sun protection times by adding the widget onto the club's website and encouraging use of the free SunSmart app
- schedule training times, competitions and outdoor events outside the daily sun protection times when possible – especially those normally scheduled for the middle of the day
- promote sun protection habits/practices during the course of the event or game
- plan and provide shade and encourage players and spectators to take advantage of shade from buildings and trees.
- encourage players and spectators to come to events with sunscreen, clothing, shade, hats and sunglasses
- encourage club ‘sports stars', coaches and club officials to be sun protection role models.