All Victorian early childhood services (childcare, family day care and preschools), primary schools and special education schools are eligible to apply for free SunSmart membership.
Schools and services are ideally placed to play a leading role in the reduction of future skin cancer rates because:
- significant UV exposure occurs during childhood and adolescence
- children attend schools and services during peak UV times
- schools and services can create sun safe environments and influence sun protection behaviours through education and role modelling.
Why join SunSmart?
A SunSmart membership:
- assists schools/services to meet their regulatory and duty of care requirements in sun protection
- assists schools/services to meet their OHS obligations in UV risk reduction for staff
- ensures your policy has been developed, reviewed and approved by SunSmart and Cancer Council Victoria, world leaders in skin cancer prevention
- provides access to current evidence-based information, resources, advice and support
- provides access to family information and free staff training
- provides you with SunSmart updates, policy changes, new resources and possible grant opportunities
- assists with advanced standing in the Victorian Government and Cancer Council Victoria’s Achievement Program
New SunSmart members receive:
- ‘We are SunSmart’ metal member sign to display
- Member certificate and e-badges to add to your website, newsletters, etc
- A copy of the children’s book ‘A Simply Spectacular Hat’
- Opportunity to promote your new membership in the local media and social media posts
How to join SunSmart
- Complete the online application checklist and attach a copy of your sun protection policy. If you do not already have a SunSmart/sun protection policy or need to update your current version, take a look at our sample SunSmart policies . Contact SunSmart for support or more information.
- SunSmart will review the application and policy and provide any feedback or suggested updates.
- Once all is approved, you will be sent a SunSmart membership pack in the post.
Please note: you will not be able to move to the next page unless all questions are complete and your answers follow SunSmart guidelines. If red text pops up, read this feedback and adjust your application response accordingly. Only applications that meet SunSmart membership criteria can be submitted.
You can save a draft of your application at any time and print a copy for your records.
Out of school hours care
Out of school hours care (OSHC) services are not eligible for SunSmart membership. As part of their national quality standards, OSHC services are required to have a written sun protection policy and adequate shade in the outdoor play space. To help, SunSmart has developed a sample sun protection policy for OSHC and vacation care services to adapt and use.
Schools and early childhood services can continue their commitment to health and wellbeing by joining the Achievement Program. You will be recognised for the work you have completed with SunSmart and get the opportunity to improve health in other areas, such as healthy eating and oral health, physical activity and mental health and wellbeing. For more information visit the Achievement Program website or call 1300 721 682.